City of Innsbruck
Area in m²
From ca. 1503 to 1864, the old Jewish cemetery was located near the Alpine Zoo on the slope of the "Judenbühel" and had an area of ca. 400 m², although the area subject to monument protection amounts to approx. 14,500 m². Following acts of desecration in February 1861 and March 1863 and due to its poor accessibility as a result of the almost impassable terrain, the Jewish Community was awarded a small piece of land in the Western Cemetery for a new cemetery by the City of Innsbruck. Some of the graves were transferred from the old to the new cemetery.
© Fund for the Restoration of the Jewish Cemeteries in Austria