Jewish Community Vienna
Area in m²
The oldest surviving Viennese cemetery. There are records of burials which took place between 1540 and 1783. In order to put a stop to the continued desecration of the cemeteries by the Nazis, in 1943 the headstones were taken to the 4th gate of the Central Cemetery by brave members of the community, where they were buried and thus safeguarded from certain destruction. At the instigation of the Jewish Community Vienna and with the support of the Cultural Authority of the City of Vienna, in the early 1980s the headstones were returned and re-erected. Today, the cemetery is surrounded by the Retirement Home Rossau and is cared for by the Municipal Park Authority. Worthy of note is the replica of the tomb of Rabbi Samson Wertheimer, commissioned by the City of Vienna in 1995.
© Fund for the Restoration of the Jewish Cemeteries in Austria